Mission & Vision
Point of Purchase Advertising International (POPAI), established in 1936, is the global association and arm for research and promotion of the in-store marketing industry. International in scope, its membership of more than 1,400 companies includes leading creators, manufacturers, buyers and users of this vital medium in the United States and abroad. POPAI conducts continuous research programs, which validate the important role of in-store marketing and disseminates this information to marketing, advertising merchandising and sales promotion executives.
POPAI promotes, protects and advances the broader interests of the in-store marketing community through:
Original ResearchFor more than 65 years, POPAI has emphasized the importance of researching shopper behavior and the influence of in-store marketing programs. Understanding how a shopper not only prepares for a trip, navigates the in-store experience, and where purchase decisions are made is, are key to understanding the whole path-to-purchase experience. As the non-profit association for Shopper Marketing Professionals, POPAI has dedicated itself to assist today’s top agencies, brands, producers, and retailers understand the shopper mindset.
Certified Education & Learning Opportunities
Designed to raise industry standards and individual performances, POPAI's professional development program is the most comprehensive P-O-P advertising education available. Including an accreditation program and other learning opportunities, industry professionals can stay abreast with the trends and technologies.
Programs that help do this include:
- Master’s Program - An intensive learning opportunity designed for experienced and highly accomplished members of our global in-store marketing community seeking personal career advancement and professional recognition. This two-day curriculum is designed to help attendees advance their education and build a community of colleagues to call upon as a lifetime resource.
- Webinars – Free sessions hosted by industry professionals throughout the year.
- POPAI U On The Road - A half-day program aimed to those who are interested in understanding the Canadian retail market and learning Canadian shopper trends.
Awarding Industry Excellence
- Outstanding Merchandising Achievement (OMA) Awards Contest - The largest and longest running award program for recognizing the most innovative and effective in-store and at retail displays, lifting sales and making products memorable and enticing to consumers. For more than 50 years, entries have competed for gold, silver and bronze honors.
A prestigious panel of judges, composed of producers, brand marketers and retailers, identify winners through two rounds of judging in a range of categories. The first round of judging is done online, where judges review submitted images and case history forms. The second round is done in person on the GlobalShop floor, where they evaluate the actual displays to formulate a final score. Scores are based on the display’s ability to increase sales, utilize shopper insights and execution of the display.
- Night of Honors – An annual night of recognizing those who have left a mark in the in-store marketing industry. The event includes new inductions into the POPAI Hall of Fame and the awarding of The Chief Award(s), The Andrea Martin Volunteer Award, and the President Award.
Hosting Trade Forums
- West Coast Pop Show - The only show dedicated to honoring point-of-purchase (POP) on the West Coast. The day-long event features a display showcase, the West Coast POP Show Awards competition and ceremony. This forum features the most creative and dynamic POP and packaging executions sold, produced or marketed on the West Coast.
- East Coast POP-UP Creative Gallery - A one-night-only creative gallery with a curation of innovative in-store displays. It highlight the talents of agencies and producers for the East Coast to see. It is the perfect setting to network with fellow industry professionals and to share your design capabilities in a relaxed venue. The event consists of inspirational speakers, a gallery of displays, and awarding the 6 POP-UP Creative Award Winners.